We spend untold thousands of dollars turning houses into dream homes. Over the years we spend even more to maintain the dream home. There are so many little things around the house that need attention, the list is never ending. And then there are the big ones which cannot be overlooked.
If you are a homeowner and have a basement in your house, then you must be familiar with the term “water damage.” This dreaded, unwanted issue is a major problem on its own, and also a sign of many other worrying issues, like a failing sump pump, foundation crack, or tree root causing damage. Water damage is very and every year millions of dollars’ worth of insurance is claimed just due to water-related problems.
When water leaks into the basement, it creates the perfect conditions for mold growth. Mold is toxic and you are putting your family at risk if you do not deal with it soon enough.
Water-related problems include leaks, damaged plumbing, cracks or leaks in the walls, weak foundation and a sump pump that has lived its full life. Spotting the leak is easy if you hire the right pros do to the inspection. If there are signs of water damage, here is what you do:
If the basement is flooded, your first step is to cut off power and gas supply to the basement – and the water supply in case the water damage was caused by a leaky pipe or busted appliance. This will lower the risk of electrocution, a gas leak, and other potential problems that are nothing but bad news.
Locate the source of the leak. This may be very obvious (like a leaking pipe or visible water dripping from a window) or it may not be. If the source of the leak is obvious, do your best to patch it temporarily and call in the pros for a permanent fix. If you can’t locate the source, call water remediation pros right away because they have the knowledge, experience, and right equipment to identify the source and get it taken care of ASAP.
You can try to remove water yourself, but you have to be careful because the water could be unsanitary, especially if caused by a septic issue. If you don’t do it 100% correctly, you could also cause worse water damage and mould growth than would have happened in the first place. Don’t take the risk – call in water remeditation pros to do it right. All that being said, if you do attempt to take care it yourself you will need to use a wet vac, open windows, bring down fans and dehumidifiers to dry the place out. If carpets, wallpaper, drywall etc. remains soaked it will have to be removed.
Check for signs of mold growth, using proper safety equipment because mold is toxic. Once again t is best to trust the pros because they have the proper equipment to tackle the job safely and take care of mold that isn’t even visible to the naked eye.
Simply fill out the short form below and one of our Certified Waterproofing Professionals will contact you.