Mold – that tiny word that can make you cringe and worry all in an instant. We all know just how potent mold can be and how dangerous it can be for the structural integrity of our homes and the welfare of our health if left unnoticed. But the problem is that noticing it isn’t always as obvious as we may think. Sometimes it can lurk within the crevices of your home without ever really showing any obvious signs. Here are a few signs to watch out for that can help you determine if your basement has mold.
Do you notice a damp, musty smell each time you walk down into your basement? If this smell lingers and worsens, it could be one of your first signs that there may be mold lingering behind the surface. Don’t just grab your favourite air freshener to give it a spray and mask it. Once you notice that smell, give your wet basement experts a call to assess your basement. This way they can determine if there’s any cause for alarm and hopefully remediate any mold before it spreads.
If your basement has a tendency to spring a few leaks whenever there’s an intensive downpour, the chances are there will be signs of water damage along your floorboards and walls. And of course, where there’s water damage, there’s a high chance that there will be mold if damp spots are left to fester. Wet basement specialists can remediate the mold, but your best bet is to invest in basement waterproofing to prevent it from reoccurring during the next downpour.
Many people have a sensitivity or allergies to mold. If you or someone in your home starts to develop signs of allergies, this could point to your problem. Sneezing, coughing, congestion, sore throat, itchy skin, headache, fatigue, and nausea are common side effects.
Of course, there’s the most obvious feature of mold that you can visibly see. When you start to notice crevices and areas along your walls, ceilings or even floorboards that develop darkened or coloured spots and markings, that is a sure sign that mold is developing. These marks will be commonly found along areas that have been prone to leaks and consistent water damage.
Mold is not something to be taken lightly. It can be easy to ignore that musty smell in the air or a few darken spots along the back corner wall. But eventually over time, if it’s not dealt with, it can spread and intensify. This could lead to rotting and an unhealthy environment for you and you loved ones to live in, especially when it comes to your basement and the general lack of ventilation. If you notice any of these signs, don’t ignore it. Homeowners in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Ottawa, Kitchener, and the surrounding areas should call your wet basement experts at The Crack Doctor immediately to ensure that your home is safe and sound.
Simply fill out the short form below and one of our Certified Waterproofing Professionals will contact you.